July 18, 1891
During the heavy storm about 2 a.m. today, the chimney and part of the brick wall of the burned out livery stable of Furman and Anderson fell through the roof of J.C.A. Herstein’s saloon next door. The heavy joist snapped and most of the ceiling of the lunch room was piled on the floor. There were two or three wagon loads of debris inside the store.
Elmdale is quite a pleasant resort for picnic parties and every day a number of visitors are at camp. Thursday a large party of Sidneyites spent the day with the campers.
July 18, 1916
The Wagner Manufacturing Co. has issued a beautiful souvenir to the trade calling attention to the 25th anniversary of the organization of the company. It was in the year 1891 that the Wagner Brothers conceived the idea of manufacturing a line of cooking utensils that would be distinctly and unmistakably better than the best that was then in use. In 1894, a line of cast aluminum cooking ware was added and this has come to be recognized not only for its superior wearing qualities but by reason of the beauty of the designs.
Robert Kaser has accepted a position with the First National Exchange Bank.
July 18, 1941
Edwin Louis Arnett, R.R.1, Jackson Center, who held sequence number 98, is the first young man of 21 in this county affected by the new selective service lottery held in Washington last night. The sequence numbers of the new registrants will be integrated into the list of older men. The second Shelby County number is Jack Willoughby, 120 Piper Street, with Lawrence Donald Agenbroad, Sidney, the third.
Carroll Haynes of south of the city, has taken over management of the Shell Service Station on Fair Avenue opposite the Shelby County fairgrounds. Haynes fills the position left open by Chris Thompson who is now with the State Highway Department.
July 18, 1966
“The losers didn’t enter the race,” speaker William A. Ross, Jr. told the 33 Derby participants and guests at the Soap Box Derby banquet of champions at the St. Paul’s Church of Christ last night.
Ross told the boys, in a short speech following the banquet, that every boy who entered the race was a winner and “from among the winners came a champion.”
Ross also expressed appreciation for the recognition accorded his father, William A. Ross, Sr., for whom the derby hill was named.
In Monday night’s Shelby Oaks Golf League, Bob Hepler took medalist honors by firing a 37 to lead his team No. 3, to a 6 ½ – 1 ½ win over No. 7.
July 18, 1991
The Sidney Fourth of July parade was a great success. Thousands attended the annual event. This year, as always, it was organized by the indispensable Sidney Jaycees. The chief corporate sponsors were the Stolle Corporation, the City of Sidney, Ferguson Construction Company, Dayton Power and Light, and the county commissioners.
Local restaurant Frisch’s will be closed for three weeks beginning nex week. An estimated $350,000 to $400,000 renovation of the interior and exterior is planned. The new color scheme will be peach and burgundy. The announcement was made by owner Robert Eilert.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org