July 25, 1891
The electric light works shut down at 11 o’clock last night on account of a defect in the boilers. Repairs have been made.
Henry Young resigned the office of assistant chief of the Sidney Fire Department last evening. In point of service, he was the oldest member of the department having served in it for 18 years. He was assistant chief in the old volunteer department and retained that position ever afterward. The fire engine purchased seven years ago was named in his honor. The vacant position has been filled by the election of John Burkhart, Jr., a member of the department for 16 years.
July 25, 1916
Members of city council at their regular meeting last evening received a remonstrance, signed by 17 abutting property owners on North Miami Avenue, near the Big Four Railroad, protesting against any raise of the grade of the railroad, but favoring an underpass for the street. A request was sent to the Big Four Railroad requesting that engineers meet with council relative to the proposed change of grade at Main Avenue as well as Miami Avenue.
W. A. Darst was seriously injured at the fairgrounds this morning. He was driving the pacing horse, “Little Ben” owned by Harry Miller, when the animal jumped after being tapped with a whip, and Darst was thrown from the sulkey. Although unconscious when aid reached him, it is not believed he was seriously hurt.
Health Officer Schlagetter branded as false the reports circulated today that the trip of the Jackson Center Boosters to Sidney and the Farmers’ picnic had been cancelled because of the reported cases of infantile paralysis in the city. There is no intention to take such a step, Schlagetter said.
July 25, 1941
“I never realized so much spare aluminum existed in Shelby County,” was the comment today by William Trimpe, chairman of the local drive to obtain aluminum for defense, after surveying the initial reports of the county wide effort for old utensils to be used for defense projects. The drive will continue through August 1.
With the announcement of the employment of two new teachers, Supt. C.C. Crawford advised the Sidney Board of Education last night that only one vacancy still exists in the local school system for the coming school year. The new teachers are, Miss Ida Livingston, who will teach fine arts and William R. Alpin, principal and teacher at Port Jefferson.
July 25, 1966
Another move in the continuing discussion of plans for a vocational high school in the area was reported today when County School Supt. Paul R. Needles received an invitation to attend a meeting Tuesday, August 16 in the Darke County courthouse assembly room in Greenville.
The invitation came from William McPheron, Greenville superintendent, who has been a leader in a movement to establish a tri-county vocational high school to serve Darke, Miami and Shelby counties.
A tornado that ripped through northern Shelby county more than a year ago, has resulted in the formation of the City-County Defense Corps, dedicated to “humanity and community.” It is composed of women and more will be asked to join as the recruitment begins in earnest this week.
Heading the unit is Mrs. Ben Dowell of R.R. 3, Sidney, chairman, Mrs. Lawrence Niswonger of 216 Piper Street, secretary and Mrs. Harvey Hoewischer, treasurer.
Plans are to rush food and clothing to any spot where it is needed any time of the day or night in any case of fire, storm of any other disaster that might strike within the limits of the city or county.
July 25, 1991
County resident Eleanor Dorsey sure has an interesting hobby and passion. She travels the world looking for total eclipses of the sun. Dorsey just returned from Mazatlan, Mexico, to view the full eclipse. She commented, “It is the most beautiful sight in the world. You know God had a hand in creating something so beautiful.” She has also been to Nova Scotia and Georgia.
It was a record Shelby County Fair. Attendance was up, and so were the sales prices. The championship steer sold for $3.50 a pound to Clyde Evans Markets. It was owned by Jason Shatto. The champion lamb shown by Andrew Brautigam sold for $19 a pound and was purchased by Emerson Wagner. The reserve champion lamb of LaCrissa Batton brought $13.75 per pound.
These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org