Out of the past


125 Years

August 8, 1891

The commissioners are in session today and will probably award the contract for the building of the insane ward at the infirmary. Bids were received until noon, and will be canvassed this afternoon.

———

There are several streets and alleys, as well as private property, in Sidney where there are weeds enough going to seed to supply the town with these pests next year.

100 Years

August 8, 1916

W.E. Partington, county school superintendent, announced today that the Shelby County Normal School will open at Anna on Sept. 4. The school was established for the training of teachers for the rural schools. Graduates from the school, which last year had an enrollment of 14, all receive certificates to teach and appointments.

75 Years

August 8, 1941

The Schurr service station at the south end of the city, opposite Graceland cemetery was broken into and burglarized again last evening. The burglary was discovered about midnight by Patrolmen Vince Simmons and John Warner, while on patrol. Cigars, cigarettes and chewing gum was reported taken. Schurr said today he has conducted the station there for 16 years and during that time it has been burglarized at least 25 times.

50 Years

August 8, 1966

James Santomieri, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Santomieri, Botkins, will make his first religious profession in the Society of the Precious Blood on August 15 at St. Charles Seminary, Carthagena. He is a graduate of Botkins ward school and a former student of Botkins High School. He graduated from Brunnerdale Seminary in 1964.

———

The Miami Valley unit of the Wally Bryam Caravan Club International, an organization of owners of Airstream trailers, will arrive at the Shelby County fairgrounds for a weekend of camping and visiting. “They will tour Coin World premises, Wagner Manufacturing and the Miami –Erie Canal locks at Lockington, along with Sidney parks and pools.” High in the tour list will be the Airstream plant at Jackson Center.

25 Years

August 8, 1991

Photo: Local artist Duane A. Campbell displays some of the paintings that will be on display in the Art Gallery at Amos Memorial Public Library throughout the month of August. Campbell does oil paintings of nature and wildlife studies, landscapes, seascapes and portraits. He began painting in 1979 and admits to being a self-taught artist.

http://sidneydailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/web1_artforlogoHISTORIALSOCIETY-5.jpg

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org

These news items from past issues of the Sidney Daily News are compiled by the Shelby County Historical Society (937-498-1653) as a public service to the community. Local history on the Internet! www.shelbycountyhistory.org

comments powered by Disqus