Fire remains under investigation


By Sheryl Roadcap - [email protected]



NEWPORT — The fire that destroyed the Cynthian Township Building on Thursday is still under investigation.

Fort Loramie Fire Chief Brad Schulze said after surveying the damages on Friday, the loss was estimated at $50,000 to the buliding and $100,000 to the contents. The building had been used to store equipment, vehicles and tractors.

He said the origin of the fire appears to have been around the snow plow.

Schulze said the building and its contents were a total loss, including a salt truck and a John Deere tractor used for mowing ditches. He said approximately 30 minutes before the fire started, one of the trustees had just put the salt truck away, and no one was present when the fire started. He believes someone passing-by called the fire in.

Fort Loramie Fire Department and Police, Houston Fire Department, Russia Fire Department, Minster Fire Department, Versailles Fire Department, Osgood Fire Department, New Bremen Fire Department, and Shelby County Sheriff Deputies responded to the report of the fire at 4:49 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 5.

“There were no injuries. With everything (such as) snow and ice makes everything go slower, but in the end there were no injuries,” Schulze said when asked if anyone, including emergency responders, was hurt.

By Sheryl Roadcap

[email protected]

Reach the writer at 937-538-4823.

Reach the writer at 937-538-4823.

comments powered by Disqus