The Latest: Jacob Wetterling’s killer sorry for ‘evil acts’


MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Latest on sentencing for the Minnesota man who confessed to assaulting, killing Jacob Wetterling in 1989 (all times local):

11:45 p.m.

A Minnesota man who kidnapped, sexually assaulted and killed 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling 27 years ago says he’s “truly sorry” for his “evil acts.”

Fifty-three-year-old Danny Heinrich led authorities to Jacob’s remains this summer as part of a plea bargain. In return, prosecutors agreed not to charge him with murder.

Standing in federal court on Monday, the Annandale man admitted he had committed a heinous and unforgivable act, and apologized to the Wetterling family for what he took away from them.

U.S. District John Tunheim sentenced Heinrich to 20 years in prison, the maximum allowed on the child porn count, but said he doubts society will ever let Heinrich go free.

Authorities can seek to have Heinrich civilly committed as a dangerous sex offender when he completes his prison sentence.

___

11:15 a.m.

A Minnesota man who recently confessed to abducting, sexually assaulting and killing 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling 27 years ago has been sentenced to 20 years in prison on a child pornography charge.

Fifty-three-year-old Danny Heinrich led authorities to Jacob’s remains this summer as part of a plea bargain that ended a mystery that had haunted Minnesota for nearly three decades. In return, prosecutors agreed not to charge Heinrich with murder.

The 20-year sentence handed down Monday by U.S. District Judge Donovan Frank is the maximum the law allows on the single child pornography count.

Jacob was abducted near his home in the central Minnesota community of St. Joseph on Oct. 22, 1989. Heinrich was arrested on child pornography charges last year but kept Jacob’s fate secret until this summer.

____

12:51 a.m.

A Minnesota man who recently confessed to abducting, sexually assaulting and killing 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling 27 years ago is due to be sentenced on a child pornography charge.

Fifty-three-year-old Danny Heinrich is due in federal court Monday morning.

He led authorities to Jacob’s remains this summer as part of a plea bargain that ended a mystery that had haunted Minnesota for nearly three decades. In return, prosecutors agreed not to charge Heinrich with murder.

The plea bargain calls for a sentence of 20 years, the maximum the law allows on the child pornography count.

Jacob was abducted near his home in the central Minnesota community of St. Joseph on Oct. 22, 1989.

Heinrich was arrested on child pornography charges last year but kept Jacob’s fate secret until this summer.

comments powered by Disqus